Friday, September 4, 2009

I have resigned myself to the fact that we won't be having the Barbeque Summer that the Met Office promised us. It is raining now. Actually, it's been raining more or less constantly for a few days, beginning with a torrential rain storm, complete with thunder and lightning. So the garden is flooded. Again.

I ordered six 70 litre bags of multi purpose compost from creativegardenideas.co.uk last week. Free delivery too! They should be arriving today. Most of it will be used to create a spring bulb bed around the tree at the bottom of the garden. I'm hoping that there will be at least one bag left over to enrich the onion bed. Speaking of onions, I'm finding lots of conflicting advice as to when would be the best time to plant the sets I bought. Some sites say September, others October and November. I even saw one recommend the shortest day as the best time to plant them. I don't want them to run to seed prematurely by planting them out too early, but I don't want to wait too long to plant them, as already the temperature is dropping outside.

No comments: