Saturday, October 17, 2009

The onion sets have started to sprout, some better than others. I think they will probably need some frost protection, so will buy some fleece from Wilko's on Monday (I hope they have some in!). I can already taste those sweet, red onions - yummy!

Going to have a bit of an experiment with the garlic. I planted some of the cloves in the small raised bed today, will plant some more mid-November, and the rest on the Winter Solstice. The Solstice is (if you didn't already know) the day when day light hours start to increase again. This is important for growing Alliums apparently, so by planting the garlic cloves in the way I'm going to be, hopefully by next summer I can see if it makes any difference. They will all hopefully produce lovely fat bulbs.

We lopped the heads off the Sunflowers a few days ago. We were amazed by how many seeds were held within the heads. The heads are on the kitchen windowsill at the moment, although one or two have gone a bit mouldy.

The area where the sweetcorn grew has now been dug over. Sweetcorn will be returning next year definately!

No comments: