Friday, October 2, 2009

I decided that today would be the day to finally plant the onion sets. I bought 50 red and 50 white sets from Wilko's a few weeks ago which are over-wintering varieties. Two bags of multi-purpose compost and half a box of blood, fish and bone later, I had prepared the bed, so in the sets went. As with everything this year, this is the first time I have grown onion sets, so fingers crossed that they get on OK.

I think I'll take the advice of Gardeners' World magazine, and plant the garlic on cells of compost to get their roots developed before they go out next month. It'll give me time to weed and prepare the large raised bed if nothing else. I hope the garlic won't mind sharing with two Brussels Sprout plants.

Planted two packs of Fratillaria (Snakes Head variety) in the front garden. The bed they're in already has a few old daffodil bulbs in, but the more I think about it, the more I think I should buy more daffodils. As the front garden is north-facing, it doesn't get a huge amount of sunlight, but if the bulbs I have planted over the last few weeks don't do well, I can just dig them up and re-plant them round the back.

No comments: