Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bought some autumn-planting white and red onion sets. They are known as Japanese onions, and will go in in the next week or so, to hopefully produce tasty onions in early summer next year. I think that as the pumpkin is unlikely to produce fruit so late in the season, I might pull it up next week, and dig the large raised bed over, adding lot of compost, and plant half the red onion sets in there, and maybe a few cloves of the garlic I bought too.

I was toying with the idea of giving onions a miss next year, but will be trying again, purely because I'm pretty sure it was my fault that this years failed so bad. They're maybe golf ball size, and the tops have flopped over, so they won't be growing anymore. I'll probably lift them tomorrow. I really liked the idea of growing our own onions, so I will be sowing some main crop onions on the shortet day, to hopefully give them the longet possible growing season. Not sure which variety to go with yet.

It will be a mad few weeks once we have harvested what we can. We need to enrich the soil, and improve drainage. I'm sure the best way of doing this will be by using raised beds. I have finally sourced a company on-line which deliver compost. They deliver for free which is even better! Will have to have a look round for some wood to make the frames. We would like to edge the raised beds with gravel on the top of weed suppression membrane. I think this would give it a really nice look.

No comments: